Wednesday, October 13, 2010

10-11-10 1st Bank Center, Broomfield, CO Source Review

As of this afternoon (October 13) there are again 3 sources available.

Source 1 (hereafter Neuman source)
Source:  FOB/DFC > Neumann ak40's(NOS) > lc3 >
km100 > Aerco mp2 @ 20db > Sd 702 @ 24/48
Transfer: Cf Card > Wavelab 6.0 > Resample/Uv 22Hr Dither >
Cd Wave > TLH > 16/44 FLAC


Etree Source

Source 2 (hereafter Schoeps source)
Source: Schoeps mk4v's(DINa)>kc5>m222>nt222>744t
Location: FOB/DFC
Transfer: 744t>CD Wave>Wavelab 5>Flac

Etree Source

Source 3 (hereafter Sennheuser source)
Field: Sennheiser MD441U > Edirol R4Pro ( Oade preamp mod ) @ 24/88.2
config: pointed slightly outside PA array, centered, 12 feet 4 inches high.
Path: R4Pro > WaveBurner ( track on sector boundaries, fades, SRC, BDC ) > xACT ( to flac, and for tagging and checksums )

Etree Source






These three sources are identical to those available from the night before, however, for whatever reason, my ears tell me that they have changed slightly.  Perhaps the mix was different in the house, causing these differences.  Nevertheless, the same basic problem from the first night is still evident, namely, Page is too low in the mix, particularly the piano.

The Schoeps source comes in a bit bass heavy at the start of Runaway Jim, but this seems to back off, and the sound of the bass is quite crisp, even at the low notes.  To really hear the low notes, check out when Gordon and Fish hit together at the beginning of Tweezer Reprise.  My house shook, just the way I like it.  About 30 seconds later, Mike does a kind of sweeping thing with the bass, and this is where the Schoeps source outshines the others, it is clear, and distinct.  On the Sennheuser source, this is muddy. 

The Neuman source has a more balanced bass response from the beginning.  The highs, as usual shimmer nicely, and you can hear the air being pushed from the house speakers.  Actually, what I think you are hearing is Fish's snare drum rattling from the noise being produced on stage.  This is particularly noticeable during quieter parts.  There is noticeable chatting during quieter parts as well, but this is to be expected from an FOB recording. 

As stated above, the bass is a bit muddy on the Sennheuser source as well as the mids.  I am not sure what changed here as the source info is identical to the night before. 

I want to thank the tapers for making some excellent tapes again.  All three are very good, with the Neuman and Schoeps source being a bit better than the Sennheuser.  If forced to choose, I think the Schoeps source is the one to go with for this night.  Its what will be on my hard drive going forward.

Happy Listening.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting analyses! I pull all the sources I can find in the interest of helping distribute and to avoid getting stuck with a dud, but I'm no audiophile and I always have trouble deciding what source(s) to convert for listening. I'll be reading all tour.

    I went with the Sennheuser sources for nights 1 and 2 after sampling It's Ice, probably based on the crispness you mentioned. I did hear the problem you noted with Tweezer Reprise. It didn't sound as huge as it could have through my headphones at all.

    ReplyDelete